JOE AND CELIA ESSES HIGH SCHOOL
Magen David Yeshivah is a Jewish day school anchored in Jewish law and committed to ensuring that each student receives a comprehensive dual-curriculum education, rooted in Sephardic tradition, and emphasizing academic excellence, creativity and intellectual curiosity.
As a community, we equip our students with the ability to confidently interact with an ever-changing modern world through the prism of Torah values, and to cultivate within them a deep understanding of and love for the people, land and State of Israel.
Towards that end, Magen David Yeshivah Joe and Celia Esses High School empowers its students with the knowledge and skills vital for success within their community and in the 21st century and nurtures their unique strengths and talents. We instill a sense of Jewish identity, a pride in our Sephardic heritage and a mastery of the sacred texts and the Hebrew language. We enable our students to succeed at colleges and universities of their choice and plan for careers in the rapidly evolving, competitive global marketplace.
The “Magen David”, literally the “Shield of David”, also known as Solomon’s Seal, is the most universally recognized sign of Judaism and Jewish identity, both within and outside of the Jewish community. Magen David Yeshivah will become the most universally recognized brand for excellence in Jewish education and training, ensuring the Sephardic Jewish future by creating a leading, world-class partner for education and training; a highly visible, recognized and acknowledged center of excellence, centered and integrated into the Greater Metropolitan New York Jewish community; dedicated to anticipating and satisfying, in a nurturing Torah environment, grounded in the three pillars of wisdom, warmth, and excellence the holistic, lifelong/ongoing (pre-professional, professional, vocational) needs of individual students; as well as the ongoing needs for renewal and growth of the Sephardic Community.
We implement this vision using the following 7 Goals:
- Enhance academics to ensure that each and every ‘student’ has a ‘meaningful learning experience’.
- Ensure that each and every student is ‘supported’ in their ‘personal’ quest for ‘success’.
- Enrich the High School Experience, allowing each student to fully explore their area of interest.
- Engage and inspire each and every student to make a commitment to Magen David Yeshivah, the Sephardic Community, ‘Jewish’ life, the Jewish people, Israel, and humanity.
- Empower and Encourage the development of the next generation of ‘Community’ ‘leaders’.
- Extend to become the ‘Kesher’, a valued ‘collaborator’ in the extended community, in general, and in specific, the Sephardic voice for the ‘Sephardic Community’ on college campuses and globally.
- Exist in the long term by creating a sustainable business model.
MDYHS is proud to be Middle States Accredited.