Overall Philosophy and Skill Sets
Science deals with natural phenomena (events) that can be observed, measured, and tested by the Scientific Method, which involves hypothesis formation and the testing of these proposed hypotheses. Students, as scientists, must be able to use their senses to observe (directly and/or indirectly) and evaluate their results. As students pass from one science course to another, specific skills are learned, refined, and expanded.
These skills include:
- Devising experimental procedures
- Carrying out a research plan for testing one’s explanations
- Using diagrams, tables, charts, and graphs to represent and organize observations
- Analyzing and interpreting the data obtained through experimentation.
- Reaching a conclusion as to whether the explanation on which the prediction was based is supported.
- Revising the explanation, based upon the results of testing, and proposing additional experimentation.